Firmware security is gaining more and more attention in a light of rapidly growing cyber-attacks all over the business world. In this article, we are going to explain what firmware is and how important it is to ensure its security.
What is Firmware?
Firmware is a software class that is embedded into hardware devices and provides control for their main functionality. One can think of a firmware as a third layer between a computer’s hardware and software but at the same time a key layer that makes it easier to develop software and run it on several systems. Firmware can also be defined as a code running on a hardware that supports the hardware’s operations and, therefore, can be hacked as any other code.
Where is Firmware present?
Nowadays programmed firmware lives in every device from smartphones to servers and PCs to industrial machines. All the IoT devices such as routers, SmartTV, printers have a firmware inside them. Every vehicle contains some firmware inside it: for example, on-board computers and various sensors in cars and planes. Some well-known examples of computer firmware are the BIOS found in IBM-compatible personal computers and the (U)EFI-complaint firmware used on Itanum systems, Intel-based computers from Apple and many Intel desktop computer motherboards.
Firmware Security: Why It’s Important
It is very important to ensure firmware’s security because firmware plays a critical role in controlling main device functions. This is extremely crucial for connected devices, which are vulnerable to external security threats, and devices that are life-critical such as medical devices. Here we are going to provide some benefits that come with implementing a firmware security solution for IoT device manufacturers:
- Customer Trust and Loyalty: Customers are looking for the devices that are resistant to cyberattacks and protect their personal data. Incorporating security at the firmware level of IoT devices allows an IoT device manufacturer to give a better guarantee of safety and security to its customers.
- Comparative Advantage: Due to poor current IoT regulations and standards, majority of IoT manufacturers do not concentrate on the security of the devices they produce. However, since data privacy and security is becoming more important for consumers day-by-day, implementing and marketing an IoT firmware security might provide a substantial comparative market advantage.
- Regulatory Consent: Whilst IoT security regulation is under development, some authorities are intensively working towards passing IoT security laws. Taking a step towards security of your device today decreases the impact of these laws on a manufacturing business in future.
- Extended Market Access: Some industries have strict requirements regarding the security of the devices that are implemented on their networks. Providing a secure firmware can help IoT manufacturer enter new markets and expand its business.
- Device Security Monitoring: It is usually difficult to manage IoT devices for users and this leaves them with lots of vulnerabilities. A firmware security will enable device security and an automatic firmware update.
Implementing IoT Firmware Security
Binaré offers a solution that identifies the potentially exploitable vulnerabilities present on your IoT device. Our versatile cloud based solution with optional professional services is easy to use and accessible to any organization. Binaré helps your business not only to reduce engineering and operational costs but also to lower IoT security risks including breaches, regulatory fines and brand damage.
To help IoT device manufacturers and other businesses to start IoT firmware security implementation process, Binaré offers a FREE Trial Demo at https://binare.io/. Interested in implementing our IoT security solution to your business or require our leading IoT cybersecurity expertise? Sign up here https://try.binare.io/get_in_touch and we will reach out to you as soon as possible!